Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Veggies!

The polenta was a lot of work but good. A couple of hints. If it comes out too thick, just slice it in half after it has set in the refrigerator. Also - cook it a lot longer than the 8 minutes in recipe. You don't want the fire too hot or it will burn, so keep it low but cook for at least 15 minutes. I am not a huge fan of polenta. It is too bland. I may add a bit more salt next time. Any other ideas?

The black bean sauce was nice. I thought the green chili sauce was a bit on the dull side but others liked it. I may try a hotter pepper next time. This time I used anaheim chili which I grilled. Hint - put chili on grill, let skin bubble and turn black then put in paper bag to steam while it is cooling for 15 minutes or so. The skin will come right off.

The eggplant stack was really good. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a lot of work chopping etc, but worth it particularly if you have a veggie crowd. The asiago cheese was nice - sort of gave it an eggplant lasagna feel. I used grated asiago. Next time, I would try slices and make sure it is left in the grill long enough to melt the cheese. The roasted corn vinaigrette that went over the top was yum.

I skipped the portobello sandwiches - too much work for one meal. Instead - Roy brought over some chicken breasts and we grilled those for the non-veggies in the crowd. Another great meal!

Mark

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited when I got the invite to eggplant stack night! It was absolutely delicious, all bitterness was taken out by the salt and though I agree with Ms. Koczela that the cheese melting would have added to the appeal, I really loved this meal. In fact the polenta grilled crispy with the green chile sauce and black bean salad made the meal all the better! I do not know if I have had better eggplant (outside of Italy). Thank you so much for allowing me to have dinner at your house and making such a superb meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what is in the lead for meals for the week? Hotdogs?
    - Steve

    ReplyDelete